Three reasons mobile app retention is declining — and strategies to beat it
With billions of options available on the app store but only so much room on smartphones, it’s natural that some apps win and some lose. For many mobile apps, customer churn is higher than ever as consumers decide which apps to keep and which to discard.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic, almost all apps have experienced a massive change in daily active users (DAUs) across industries. While some apps saw DAUs increase by more than 500% in a matter of days, others plummeted, with record-breaking drops in usage. Consumers are quick to invest their time in apps that offer value while abandoning those that don’t — meaning engagement is key.
So how do mobile app publishers stand out and keep users active? Learn the main reasons apps lose peoples’ attention and how personalized and convenient experiences can keep users engaged.
Why more customers are hitting delete
So what factors drive people to delete some apps over others? While the reasons vary from person to person, there are a few common reasons behind customer churn:
- Disconnected experiences: If an app offers experiences irrelevant to mobile app users‘ needs and everyday lives, they’re less likely to keep the app. In a world where digital media is embedded in our lives 24/7, consumers are likely to turn away from those perceived as useless, a waste of time, or simply not engaging. Functionality (or lack of) can play a part in users feeling disconnected from an app that isn’t user-friendly or inclusive of features that incentivize daily use.
- Data-sharing distrust: More people are hesitant to provide personal information and opt-in to data sharing. From cybersecurity and hacking concerns to an overall feeling of compromised privacy, consumers have become increasingly selective about which apps they are willing to share data with. Concerns over how their data will be used loom large for mobile app users.
- Limited storage: With limits to physical storage and increasing costs for cloud storage, an app must be perceived as worthwhile to remain successful. If an app isn’t providing immediate value, users delete it to save space on their device.
Relevance is key in a crowded marketplace
Mobile app users are looking for apps that add value to their daily lives. To connect with your customers, you need to create personalized experiences that are attention-grabbing and provide continuous enrichment to remain used.
No two customers are the same, so you need to cater experiences to their unique needs and preferences. Part of the solution lies in messaging and notifications. By personalizing in-app experiences and notifications, you can:
- Enable meaningful value exchanges: According to a Salesforce survey, 51% of customers would share data for discounts, 33% for better content, and 14% for more relevant ads. To justify users enabling data sharing, you need to create experiences that make opting in worth it.
- Display relevant ads: Advertising revenue is crucial for many mobile app publishers — but the wrong ad could turn customers away from your app. By serving ads that connect to your users’ needs, you maintain a revenue source while providing your customers with helpful, relevant ads.
- Take advantage of notifications: Mobile app users sometimes require a little nudge of encouragement to remain engaged. Craft messaging that comes off as inspiring or intriguing rather than pushy and meddlesome. For example, language education apps or fitness apps may notify users to continue utilizing their apps to meet personal goals — shifting the reward element back to the user.
Connected experiences start with customer insights
By leveraging over 850 billion miles of driving data, Arity provides mobile app publishers with the insights they need to understand their customers and create personalized experiences. Some of our many mobile app solutions include:
- Predictive Mobility: Access insights about how, when, and where your users move to create personalized offers and customer experiences. For example, fitness apps used by walkers, joggers, and bikers can guide them to the safest exercise routes outdoors.
- Fuel Efficiency: Provide information about how your customers’ driving affects their fuel consumption and give them a helpful fuel efficiency score.
- Safety Insights: Help customers understand how people drive in different areas.
- Arity Private Marketplace (PMP): Gain access to audience segments based on real driving data and display ads that your user base will find valuable.
- Crash Detection: Offer an in-app safety feature that detects collisions and notifies emergency responders.
Learn more about Arity mobile app solutions.