How driving risk management can improve consumers’ everyday lives
Have you ever arrived late to work because of a train delay? Lost time in traffic waiting on road construction? Or experienced a car accident?
No matter who you are, where you work, or where you live, we all rely on road travel or other forms of public transportation. So when the way we move is inefficient or unsafe, it impacts our everyday lives.
Fortunately, mobility data can help make transportation safer and smarter. Insights from our vehicles and transportation systems can help us understand driving risk factors, predict transportation changes, and improve how we move.
The outsized impact of poor transportation
Transportation challenges like spikes in demand, delayed transit, and reckless driving have a significant impact on Americans’ health and livelihoods.
Increased traffic congestion costs U.S. drivers time and slows economic growth. In 2022, the average U.S. driver lost over 50 hours driving in traffic, which equated to $869 in lost time per driver.
And flaws in our transportation systems don’t just make our roads inefficient — they make them unsafe. Car accidents remain a public health crisis in the U.S., with motor vehicle collisions killing an average of 100 people every day.
We need to use all the tools at our disposal to confront these issues head-on, and one of our greatest assets is mobility data. By providing real-time insights into the way people move, data can help us analyze modes of transportation and prevent crises before they happen.
Get ahead of driving risk factors with mobility data
The secret to solving our greatest transportation challenges lies in mobility data. So what is this type of data and how does it compare to other insights, like location data?
Mobility data is contextually enriched telematics data. It combines raw GPS, mobile phone, and vehicle device data with contextual information, like weather, time of day, or traffic. As a result, mobility data provides a comprehensive view of transportation compared to location data alone.
Analyzing this data can provide an accurate picture of road conditions, driving behavior, and transportation patterns to improve safety and efficiency for drivers and passengers. These insights can improve the way we move with:
- Real-time traffic updates: Cities can use mobility data from sensors and GPS systems to provide real-time traffic updates to drivers. By analyzing this data, transportation officials can identify areas of congestion or accidents and provide alternative routes to drivers, allowing them to save time and avoid potential accidents.
- Predictive maintenance: Data from vehicle sensors can also predict when vehicles need maintenance. This can help drivers and transportation agencies prevent dangerous accidents caused by mechanical failure and reduce downtime for costly repairs.
- Driver behavior monitoring: Mobility data can help auto insurance carriers better identify driving risk and price drivers according to their driving behavior. By tying better prices to safer driving, insurers can incentivize better driving behaviors. The result: fewer accidents, lower insurance premiums, and safer roads.
- Public transportation data: Data from bus or train sensors can be used to optimize public transportation routes and schedules, reduce wait times for passengers, and improve overall efficiency. By understanding why, when, and where commuters use their services, public transportation officials can adjust service levels to match demand and improve passenger safety and experiences.
- Road condition monitoring: Data from vehicle sensors can monitor road conditions like potholes or ice. By analyzing this data, transportation officials can identify areas in need of repair and prioritize maintenance, reducing accidents and saving drivers time rerouting.
Making sense of how people move with Arity
At Arity, we believe in the power of data to make transportation smarter, safer, and more useful for everyone.
We’ve amassed more than 1.15 trillion miles of driving data, enabling us to offer insights, strategies, and solutions to transform transportation for the better.
Get in touch to learn more about our driving risk management solutions.